Monday, March 17, 2014

Butternut Squash Ravioli with Sage Cream Sauce

I wanted to post this yesterday (Sunday), but my computer didn't want to upload a photo. As you will see, the photo of my creation is at the bottom of the page. So, here we go, because, It's all about the food.

It's been sleety and cold in the Ozarks today, a good day to stay indoors. Earlier, I spied a box of frozen butternut squash ravioli sitting in my freezer, and I wondered why I hadn't drug it out by now and done something with it. So, here we go. The sauce recipe is virtually the same as on the box but I changed it up just a little bit.

Sage Cream Sauce:

3 TBSP unsalted butter
1/4 cup chopped red onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teas. dried sage
1 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
1 1/3 cup heavy cream
Salt and black pepper to taste
A spritz of red pepper flakes
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Frozen peas

And of course, the ravioli, cooked. It takes about 6 or 7 minutes on a gentle boil to cook them through but I didn't start until I had the sauce finished.

In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Saute the red onion til soft, about 4 minutes, add garlic and sauté another minute. Toss in the sage and sauté for about 30 seconds. Combine the chicken stock and heavy cream, stir in, increasing heat to high. Drop parmesan cheese in. Let sauce boil, stirring constantly with a whisk, 7 or 8 minutes, til mixture thickens and reduces by about half. Salt and pepper, toss red pepper flakes in. Add frozen peas and let them cook for 3 or 4 minutes, keeping them firm but not frozen.

Ladle ravioli on plate, pour sauce over and serve.


Mange!

No comments:

Post a Comment