Springfield Writers’ Guild
22nd Annual Prose and Poetry Contest
June 15 - September 15, 2015
Divisions and AwardsProse and Poetry Division
Fee $5 per entry. No limit to number of entries, but the same entry may not be entered in more than one category.
Prose: Maximum 1,000 words, double-spaced
Category 1 – Fiction, any genre
Category 2 – Nonfiction, any subject
Category 3 – Humorous
Poetry: Maximum one page, single-spaced
Category 4 – Humorous, any form
Category 5 – Any subject, any form
Awards each category 1-5: First Place $50, Second Place $25, Third Place $15, Two Honorable Mentions
Jim Stone Memorial Poetry DivisionFee $5, one entry per person. Entry must not have been entered in Categories 4 or 5.
Poetry any subject, any form. One page, single spaced.
Awards this division: First Place $150, Second Place $75, Third Place $50, Two Honorable Mentions
Best of Springfield Writers’ Guild AwardSWG members who enter any category automatically will be considered for a $100 award at no additional entry fee and in addition to other awards they may receive. This category judged separately.
Bonus for SWG Members: Submit two entries and receive a special link to submit a third entry free of charge. One free entry per member.
1. Read these guidelines carefully. Failure to follow the guidelines may disqualify your entry.
2. Contest period is 12:01 a.m. Central Time, June 15, 2015, to midnight Central Time, September 15, 2015. Entries and fees will be accepted only during the contest period and only at www.Submittable.com; see link at www.springfieldwritersguild.org/contests.html. Payment by debit card, credit card, or PayPal. Each entry must be unpublished, original work of contestant, and entered in only one category. You keep all rights to your entries; entries will not be published.
3. Double space prose, single space poetry. Title each entry except haiku. A list of your entries will be accessible at www.Submittable.com. Enter the prose word count or poetry form in the box provided. Number prose pages. Do not put your name on entries.
4. Once an entry is submitted to Submittable, it will not be extracted or exchanged for another entry for any reason. Writers may resubmit another entry accompanied with the $5 fee.
5. Awards will be presented at the Springfield Writer’s Guild meeting, October 24, 2015, or by mail for those unable to attend. For a list of winning entries and judges, visit www.springfieldwritersguild.org/contests.html after October 24, 2015.
Questions? Contact Contest Chair, Yvonne Erwin: firstname.lastname@example.org