Saturday, May 19, 2012

May 9, 2012. My first public appearance ever as the current president of the Springfield Writers' Guild. I spoke to the Teen Writers' Workshop at the Creamery, in Springfield, Missouri. My topic was, "Let Yourself be a Writer, Right Now."
My passion is writing. I believe in my writing, I believe in your writing, I believe that these earnest young kids are writers and have the same burning passion as those of us who have been down the road awhile. I listened to their voices on May 9th and I can tell you, these kids burn with enthusiasm, they have drive, they have a voice. It makes no difference that they're 17 or 18 years old; seriously, give me a break. These kids have voices and they're using what they have.
Therefore, as seasoned writers, we must encourage (not scare) these kids. We must mentor them, not threaten  or command them or act is if they will never be able to write unless they follow our directives.
Writing is subjective. As seasoned writers, we can guide, we can recommend, we can mold, we can teach, but we should never slap down the seed these talented young people are planting. We should never embarrass, strike or hurt their voice. We can only nurture, bolster, and bring their voices to the front line.
I am so proud to have been asked to be a part of these young writers' lives, for one night. There was so much I would have liked to have shared with them but I had a brief time with them. I do encourage each and every one of them to keep on keeping on with the craft. Keep moving forward, keep growing, keep moving.
It will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment