Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Yesteryear



My dad tells me of a time when, if you had something to discuss with someone, you simply got up on the tractor, or the horse, or got into the car if you were lucky enough to have one, and you traveled to that person and discussed your business over coffee at the kitchen table or sitting on the porch. How many deals were made under an oak tree, I wonder? How much family news was delivered at a formica table in a sunny-yellow kitchen, red-checked curtains waving in the breeze? You looked your friend in the eye in those days.



With the advent of the telephone, there was no longer any need to meet face to face. It was easy, convenient; just dial him up, have your conversation, hang up. How simple is that. It was no longer necessary to have that personal touch, to look your fellow man in the eye.



I remember reed-thin letters in envelopes with postage stamps, a voice in handwriting. Back when I could leave an unstamped envelope and eleven cents in the mailbox and the postman would affix a stamp to my missive and send it out, and then some weeks later, much to my delight, a letter would come to me from my cousin or my grandmother. Oh, those days. Yesteryear. Oh, how I miss that.



Yes, I confess. Sometimes, I long for yesteryear.



I am not a texter. I don't carry a cell phone. I would say it has been probably twenty-five years since I've recieved a handwritten letter from anyone or written one for that matter.



Aren't we missing something personal these days? Aren't we missing that special touch of humanity? Do you miss it?















1 comment:

  1. I'm still mourning the death of the handwritten letter! I love sending and receiving letters (although I seldom do it these days). When cards cost upwards of $5 and postage raises almost monthly, I can hear the gasps and protests, "We could rent a movie for that - two, even!"
    But you and I know that a card or letter is something to hold and keep and treasure. Tangible proof that someone thought enough of us to sacrifice their time and penmanship to send us love through the mailbox.
    Viva la carta!

    ReplyDelete