Saturday, January 2, 2010

Lentil and Sausage Soup with Butternut Squash



Success!!! Yay!

I liked this. I really did. Not the best picture, not the one I would have liked to display but, okay, here goes. Oh by the way, don't be afraid of lentils. I know they sound weird but they are really quite delicious.





Brown Lentil and Sausage Soup with Butternut Squash



3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 large onion, diced
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into one-inch cubes
1 bag brown lentils
4 cups water
1 can vegetable broth or stock (I prefer stock)
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
Salt
Pepper
1 ounce parmesan or romano cheese, shaved
1/4 cup parsley
spicy sausage, such as andouille, or whatever you like



Combine all, except for the parmesan cheese, in a crockpot and leave on low setting for eight hours. To serve, top each bowl with shaved parmesan cheese and be sure to have a loaf of crusty bread and maybe a big salad and a nice pinot grigio to go alongside?



The butternut squash is really fine in this soup. It seems to bring a sweet balance to the rest of the ingredients and since I love butternut squash anyway, any recipe that calls for it is a good deal in my book.

Try it. Tell me if you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment